Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Gym Etiquette

Yesterday at the gym...

20 mins stationary bike (Level 11, 5 miles rode ~180 cals burned)
30 mins stairmaster (aerobic level 8, 3 miles climbed ~350 cals burned)
1,693 calories consumed (daily goal is 1,606.. oh well.. I killed a hell of a lot of calories yesterday)
3L water consumed

On Monday morning at the gym, I was doing the fit fix, which is a series of weight machines. I was really excited to be there in the morning because it wasn't that busy, and it's a good time to get through the machines in order, like you are supposed to without getting stuck behind too many slowpokes. The goal is to move between the machines as quickly as possible so that you keep your heart rate up.

Anyways, when I started there was this lady about 2 machines down from me, and she was going pretty slow, so I took my time getting my water and getting set up. As I started to move through the machines, I noticed that they were actually wet with the sanitizer.

While I appreciate that you are taking time to wipe down the machines, I would appreciate it more if I didn't have to trail after you and dry them all off.. Urggghh.. Just one of those little gym pet peeves.

Since I am kind of one of those "these are the people in your neighbourhood" kind of people, in my head I give people I see often little nicknames. One of the ladies in the gym was Sarah Palin to me.. she just kind of looked like her.. so I would be walking into the gym and see her on the fit fix machines and think to myself, oh god, there's Slow Sarah. I guess I should take longer with my warmup. Maybe I am a snob.

I don't know about you, but when I go to the gym I just want to get in and get out. Exercising isn't my absolute favourite activity. That would be lounging on the couch watching tv and eating chips, and that's why I am in this situation! LOL. I think it also has a lot to do with having a desk job and commuting for 3 hours a day.

Then there's Supergran. Remember that show, Supergran? I wonder if it's on YouTube.

Supergran is this grandma that works out like a fiend. She is probably in better shape than I am at 28! She is a fixture at my gym. Saturday morning she gets there for Step at 8:30, then stays for Zumba, BodyPump and BodyFlow, and I think she might even stay for NewBody. That's 5 hours of fitness on a Saturday! Wowzers. She's also outfitted in the latest Lululemon all the time, and is friends with EVERYONE. She is a really nice lady. She's talked to me a few times too.

I saw Weirdy the other day. I don't know why I picked Weirdy for her nickname. I guess when she first joined the gym, every time I saw her she was wearing the same workout clothes. I guess I thought that was weird.

I wonder what people call me. Probably the loner. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment